Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Update on Melissa

Some things have changed since the last post. We have found out that the cancer has spread to her liver. She doesn't have liver cancer, but the rectal cancer has spread to her liver. She goes in tomorrow to have a port put in her so they can start the chemo on Friday. On Friday, she will begin a 46 hour regimen of chemotherapy. From what I've gathered on my research, this is a fairly new procedure, and seems to be effective.

I am hopeful that this will shrink the growths down enough that they can remove them. While it is something that she (and I) will have to deal with for the rest of our lives, I would rather do that, then not have her at all.

It's tough to see her in pain, and not be the happy person she normally is. My mind does wander from time to time, but I quickly get rid of those thoughts and move on. I have four kids to worry about, including Logan's treatment, Holly's school work, Shannon and Megan are always on my mind as well. I have to be strong for them, and more importantly for Melissa. I'm sure the toughest is yet to come.

I'm very confident that we'll beat this. I have hope, and I'll use that as much as I can.

1 comment:

Beth Johnson said...

Melissa and your whole family are in my prayers!